For the past two days I’ve been hanging out in downtown Houston with seven other youth workers from four other diocese. It’s been fun and exhausting! We started without having a defined agenda, just knowing that when we get together, we usually talk about great things. After a day and a half of meeting, my mind is swimming with new ideas and things I can’t wait to implement in Kansas!
Some of what we’ve covered:
- Ways to encourage youth ministry in small or rural congregations.
- How to build structures to support youth ministry in a parish.
- Free, easy ways to create awesomely graphic-designed posters, postcards, memes, etc. (canva.com)
- How to honor graduating seniors
- Cell phone policies and practices, the successes and pittfalls
- Diocesan policies and procedures for online forms and payment
- The Episcopal Youth Event (EYE) discernment process for delegates and adults and travel options
- How each diocese structures Diocesan Youth Commission and how people are selected for those commissions
- Crazy activities and games that we can do at youth group or youth events
I’m sure I will be sharing much of what I’ve learned with the Youth Workers in Kansas. We hope to continue to gather once or twice a year to share ideas and support each other in ministry. The Episcopal Diocese of Texas has been a great host and I am very appreciate of the time and resources it took to be here.