All participants (youth and adult) at each youth event are asked to sign a community covenant committing to standards set by the Youth Commission to promote a wholesome, Christian environment.
Episcopal Diocese of Kansas Youth Ministry
Community Expectations & Covenant
The mission of the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas Youth Program is to gather, equip, and send young disciples of Jesus Christ to witness to God’s reconciling love. In order to live out our mission statement, all participants agree to actively participate in all parts of the event and to abide by the standards of the community:
- I will seek to build up myself, others, and our community in my actions and words, doing my best to ‘love my neighbor as myself.’ (Matthew 22:39)
- I will respect the person, property, feelings and beliefs of each member of our community.
- I will respect the property of the host church with the understanding that it is God’s House.
- When conflicts happen, I will work to resolve them directly with the people involved, as described in Matthew 18:15-17 “If a fellow believer hurts you, go and tell him – work it out between the two of you. If he listens, you’ve made a friend. If he won’t listen, take one or two others along so that the presence of witnesses will keep things honest, and try again. If he still won’t listen, tell the church. If he won’t listen to the church, you’ll have to start over from scratch, confront him with the need for repentance, and offer again God’s forgiving love.” (The Message)
- I will hand in all medication to the event nurse.
- I will not enter the sleeping areas or restrooms of the opposite sex.
- I will wear appropriate clothing that allows me to fully participate. I agree to abide by additional dress-code requirements for special activities.
- I will follow the event guidelines for cell phone use if I bring one to the event.
- I will not drive my car during the event, and I will not go to my car without permission from an adult staff member.
- I will not engage in sexual activity.
- I will not bring or use alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, fireworks, firearms or any kind of weapon.
- I will do my best to have fun!
Adults attending the event also agree to abide by these standards and assist with supervision of youth, remembering 2 Timothy 2:24-25, “And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, correcting opponents with gentleness.”
I agree that these are reasonable expectations and I will do everything I can to live up to them. If I choose to violate the rules set for the event I am planning to attend, I understand that there will be consequences, which may include my parents being notified and my being sent home.