Camp Staff Manual 2017: (updated 5/9/2017) check out this comprehensive guide for information like:
- Staff Job Descriptions
- Staff Expectations
- Counselor Responsibilities and Procedures
- What to pack
- Suggestions for “E-Time” workshops
A Prayer for Camp
Almighty God, heavenly Father, you have blessed us with the care of young people as camp staff members in the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas. Fill us with your love, joy, peace, and patience. May we love you with all of our heart, mind, and strength as we seek to teach our campers to do the same. And as we endeavor to answer your call to make disciples, help us to be your disciples, remembering that you are with us always, to the end of the age. Amen.
Where is camp?
Episcopal Summer Camp has been held at Camp Wood YMCA for as long as anyone can remember (at least 80 years). To find out more about the facilities, or see a map of where it is located, check out their web site.
Camp Staff members are expected to arrive Saturday, June 3, at noon for Staff Orientation and Training. Lunch and all meals will be provided. Please plan to be on time. Staff members are asked to stay until all of the campers in their cabin have checked out on Saturday, which should be by 11:30 a.m. Saturday, June 10 (ordinations are June 17 this year!).
EDOK Youth Ministry Training
The Youth Ministry program has a standard set of training materials. If you’ve never staffed Camp before, we ask that you watch these three videos prior to coming to camp (and preferably sometime in May, so it will be fresh in your mind). That way we can focus on issues helpful to ALL staff during the staff training day.
- Video #1: Includes Guiding Principles, Qualifications, Youth Needs and What you Need to do as an Adult Volunteer: Build Relationships, Be Welcoming, Supervise, Lead by Example, Be an adult not a kid, Have a positive attitude … and several things to avoid! (14:50)
- Video #2: Leading a small group (all counselors will do this during our “program” time) (5:30)
- Video #3: Behavior issues, discipline, conflict (11:32)
If you’d rather hear this information in person, there will be an optional Camp Staff meeting at Camp Wood on Saturday, May 20, at 10 am. If you’ve never been to camp before, this would also be a great time to check out the facilities and where you will be staying. Please let the Youth Missioner know if you plan to attend (otherwise, she won’t be there)!
Safeguarding God’s Children Training
Each member of our camp staff needs to have completed the Safeguarding God’s Children training according to our diocesan policies. Camp Counselors can complete the training online. If you have not completed the training, you will be instructed prior to camp as to how to complete the training.
Camp Schedule (updated 5/9/2017)
Each day our staff offers hour-long activities or workshops. We call it “E-Time” or Episcopal Time. These activities are led by members of our staff who volunteer. They can be things like sports, dance lessons, yoga, nature hikes, arts and crafts, tie dyeing, discussion groups, bible study, board games, etc. Please consider what you might offer as an E-Time activity and contact the Camp Director for your session if you have ideas or questions.
- Elementary Director: Mrs. Beth Lee, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Junior High Director: Mrs. Megan Upton-Tyner, email@example.com
- Senior High Director: Ms. Jillian Carroll, firstname.lastname@example.org
Our program theme for Mega Camp 2017 is still to be determined. If you would like to assist in camp program, contact the Program Director for your session.
- Elementary Program Director: Mrs. Barbara McCall, email@example.com
- Junior High Program Director: Mrs. Katie Knoll Lenon, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior High Program Director: Mrs. Jennifer Allen, email@example.com
Each session will have it’s own chaplain to lead daily worship for your group and be there for any pastoral concerns. If you would like to be a part of worship or assist in any way, contact the camp Chaplain for your age-group.
- Elementary Chaplain: The Rev. Kelly Demo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Junior High Chaplain: The Rev. Andrew O’Connor, email@example.com
- Senior High Chaplain: The Rev. Betty Glover, firstname.lastname@example.org
2017 Camp Staff: This year, we are asking that all camp staff be personally invited by the Youth Missioner. IF you are invited to serve on camp staff, she will send you the link to the required staff forms.
See who’s on Camp Staff 2017
Food: Camp staff are welcome to bring snacks for themselves or supplemental food if you have strict dietary needs. You can keep food in the staff room in Ritchie or in the kitchenette in the Nurses cabin (which has a fridge). Please don’t keep food or drinks in your cabin/tent.
In the event that we haven’t answered your question here, please contact the Youth Missioner, Karen Schlabach, at email@example.com or (913) 708-5927.