The Mustard Seeds are a contemporary christian worship band made up of high school and college students from the Diocese of Kansas. The band is made up of members from all over the diocese. This allows band members to rotate.
Mustard Seeds Weekend retreat
When: Friday, March 2, 7 pm to Sunday, March 4, 11 am, 2018
Where: St. Francis, Overland Park (which has showers!)
Who: High School students who are interested in playing at youth events (Junior high students may attend with Youth Missioner permission)
What: Leadership games, hang-out time, and most importantly: time to practice worship songs and maybe even record a few!
Cost: $20 ($30 after February 23)
Registration form: https://edok.formstack.com/forms/musicweekend2017 Please register by February 23, 2018.
How did The Mustard Seeds get their name?
It’s a biblical reference to Matthew 17:20, in which Jesus says, “…if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
What if I want to join The Mustard Seeds?
Great! We can always use more musicians. Since the band operates on a rotating basis, we can never have too many people involved. If you’re a high school or college student, and want to join the band, just bring your instrument with you to a diocesan youth event. Practice-time will be announced, and you should join in!
What instruments do you need?
We’ll use just about anything you want to play! In the past we’ve had drums, guitar, flute, piano, violin, piccolo, bass, banjo, mandolin, and even a kazoo or two!
What are some songs I can practice at home?
- All Creatures of our God and King (Hymn 400, also performed by David Crowder Band)
- Be Thou My Vision (Hymn 488)
- Blessed by the Name by Matt Redman
- Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Hymn 686, also performed by David Crowder Band)
- 40 by U2
- Here I am to Worship (performed by Tim Hughes)
- I’m a Believer by The Monkeys
- Indescribable by Laura Story (performed by Chris Tomlin)
- Jesus Loves Me by Jennifer Knapp
- Madly (performed by Jeremy Redmon)
- Mighty to Save by Reuben Morgan and Ben Fielding
- Pharaoh, Pharaoh (to the tune of Louie, Louie)
- You are so Good to Me by Waterdeep
You can also check out this YouTube Playlist of Worship Songs to hear what some of our songs sound like and play (or sing) along with the videos.
If you’d like a copy of the guitar chords for something we do regularly, let the Youth Missioner know and she can get you a copy, e-mail Karen Schlabach at email@example.com. (Due to copyright laws, all copies have to be reported.)