Youth worker training guide
This manual can be given to the adult volunteers (I call them “youth workers”) who teach Sunday School or Confirmation class, or who help at your youth group. It can also be used as a guide for a training workshop in your parish.
- YouthWorkerGuide (PDF)
- YouthWorkerGuide (MS Word)
- EDOK Youth Ministry Training Videos (Karen Schlabach, Youth Missioner, explaining some of the basics from the Youth Worker Guide)
The best idea for a simple ministry to youth, this video talks about making young people feel welcome, wanted, and never giving up on them.
Intro to Youth Ministry
- Youth Ministry 101 (PDF): a simple guide for starting a youth program at your parish.
- Manual for Hiring 2017 (PDF) includes sample job descriptions and salary info
- Books I strongly recommend for Youth Ministers (all available on Amazon.com):
- My First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A personal and practical guide to starting right by Doug Fields
- Creating Classrooms where Teachers Love to Teach and Students Love to Learn by Bob Sornson (or any Love & Logic resources)
- The Episcopal Christian Educator’s Handbook by Sharon Ely Pearson
- Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why most youth ministry doesn’t last and what you can do about it by Mark DeVries
- Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus by Mark Yaconelli
- Growing Young: 6 Essential Strategies to help young people discover and love your church by Kara Powell, Jake Mulder, and Brad Griffin (We’ve been doing presentations on this around our diocese and have gotten several parish vestries to read this together.)
- Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today’s Teenagers by Chap Clark
Youth Missioner Files
- SONGS_A-J_NEWest – PowerPoint file
- SONGS_L-Z_NEWest – PowerPoint file
- EDOK Worship Songs on YouTube
- Youth Compline – PowerPoint file
Resources from The Episcopal Church
- Youth and Young Adult Ministry manuals
- Episcopal Youth Blog: Youth Ministries of the Episcopal Church is an office that strives to equip, empower, and connect adults who work with youth in the Episcopal church.
- Episcopal Youth in Mission Manual: everything you need to know to plan a mission trip with youth, including planning checklists, preparing your team, tips for while you’re traveling and after you get home.
- Forma: an association and dynamic community of Christian educators, formation professionals, and their institutional partners that celebrates and upholds the diverse ministries of Christian formation across the the Episcopal Church.
- Lesson Plans that Work: created by The Episcopal Church, they follow the lectionary
- Episcopal Curriculum for Youth: a thematic program available free for download. Options for Pre-K & K, Primary (grades 1-3), Intermediate (grades 4-6), Younger Youth, and Older Youth.
- Called To Teach and Learn: A Catechetical Vision and Guide for the Episcopal Church (1994)
- companion piece written by The Rev. Canon Joe Russell, Discovering Called to Teach and Learn
- The Children’s Charter for the Church was adopted at General Convention in 1997. We are called to ministry to children, minister for children, and minister with children.
- Resource Book for Ministries with Youth and Young Adults in the Episcopal Church edited by Sheryl Kujawa-Holbrook and Lois Sibley (1995)
- Handbook for Ministries with Young Adolescents in the Episcopal Church (1996),
- Handbook for Ministries with Older Adolescents in the Episcopal Church (1996) both edited by Sheryl Kujawa-Holbrook
- Charter for Lifelong Christian Formation that states that worship, study, prayer, and action are part of what it means to be an ever-growing disciple of Christ
- Awake My Soul: A Liturgical Resource for use with Children and Adults edited by Ernesto Medina and Julia Huttar Bailey is a great example of the create ways the gospel, readings, and prayers of the people can engage all ages.
Awesome web sites that make youth ministry easier:
- Canva: amazingly simple graphic design (free as long as you upload your own images)
- The Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU): lots of information on youth culture
- The Center for Spiritual Resources – A comprehensive collection of resources for your spiritual journey, including events, articles, programs, blogs, audio and video resources, and much more.
- D365 – daily devotional site
- Download Youth Ministry: Quality resources (games, lessons, videos, leader training, etc.) that are easy, inexpensive, and trench-tested.
- Happening National: Happening is a Christian experience presented by teenagers for teenagers with the help of clergy and lay adult leadership.
- The Holy Geek: Geeky church talk and tech tips.
- The Source for Youth Ministry: free resources and ideas, articles, training, etc.
- Thoughts of a Christian Educator: each year she publishes reviews of all the current Sunday School curriculums, VBS programs, and Confirmation curriculums
- Youth Ministry 360: Youth Ministry, Full Circle: Bible Resources, Training, Community, Networking
- Youth Specialties: National Youth Workers Convention and Team Training, curriculum, books, Bible, training, blog, etc.
- YS Programming: A Rundown of the most recent Programming Ideas from around Youth Ministry.
Initiative Games (games with purpose):
- Wilderdom http://www.wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
- Boy Scouts of America http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Games.pdf
- CampSource http://campsource.pbworks.com/f/Initiative+Games.pdf
- VCU Initiative Games http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Games.pdf
Confirmation Programs I recommend:
- My Faith My Life: a web site with resources for teens and mentors in Confirmation, especially those utilizing the book of the same title.
- Confirm not Conform: confirmation curriculum for youth and adults; also a blog on youth confirmation topics
Curriculum & Lessons for Sunday School or Youth Group:
- Group: lots of books, curriculum, mission trips, and a great magazine
- Leader Resources: LeaderResources offers a large collection of downloadable Christian Formation Resources — for children’s ministry, youth groups, adult education, congregational development and more!
- Living the Good News: lectionary-based curriculum
- Peer Ministry Leadership: relational ministry skills training and curriculum for Middle School, High School, and College students (this is the training program the Youth Program uses with their Peer Ministers).
- Sermons for Kids
- The Skit Guys: They’ve been teaching God’s word using comedy, drama and whatever category talking action figures fit into for over twenty years. Videos, books, and skits available for purchase.
- Storypath: Connecting children’s literature with our faith story
- Text Week: lectionary, scripture study, worship links, and resources
- Worshiping with Children (lectionary based)
- Youth Group Games
- Youth Leader Stash: games, talks, event ideas, resources, “Monday Money Movies” (the latest viral YouTube videos appropriate to share at Youth Group)
Engaging Children in Worship
- Child’s Worship Bag
- Children’s Worship Bulletins
- Kids Word
- Communication Resources bulletins
- On-line puzzles etc.
- The Sunday Paper and Sunday Paper Junior:
Bibles I Recommend for Children and Youth:
- CEB Deep Blue Kids Bible, age range 7-11 years
- Kids Spark NRSV Bible, grades 3-6
- Spark Story Bible (150 of the most popular Bible Stories, for younger children)
- NIV Quest Study Bible: The Question and Answer Bible
- Serendipity Bible: For Personal and Small Group Study (NIV)
- The Brick Bible (the Bible illustrated with Legos)
- The Action Bible (the Bible in Comic Book format)
- The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
If you have any great internet resources you would like to share, e-mail them to Youth Missioner, Karen Schlabach at email@example.com.