Youth worker training guide
This manual can be given to the adult volunteers (I call them “youth workers”) who teach Sunday School or Confirmation class, or who help at your youth group. It can also be used as a guide for a training workshop in your parish.
- YouthWorkerGuide (PDF)
- YouthWorkerGuide (MS Word)
- EDOK Youth Ministry Training Videos (Karen Schlabach, Youth Missioner, explaining some of the basics from the Youth Worker Guide)
The best idea for a simple ministry to youth, this video talks about making young people feel welcome, wanted, and never giving up on them.
Intro to Youth Ministry
- Youth Ministry 101 (PDF): a simple guide for starting a youth program at your parish.
- Manual for Hiring 2017 (PDF) includes sample job descriptions and salary info
- Books I strongly recommend for Youth Ministers (all available on Amazon.com):
- My First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A personal and practical guide to starting right by Doug Fields
- Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why most youth ministry doesn’t last and what you can do about it by Mark DeVries
- Creating Classrooms where Teachers Love to Teach and Students Love to Learn by Bob Sornson
- Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today’s Teenagers by Chap Clark
- The Episcopal Christian Educator’s Handbook by Sharon Ely Pearson
Youth Missioner Files
- SONGS A-J NEW – PowerPoint file
- SONGS L-Z NEW – PowerPoint file
- EDOK Worship Songs on YouTube
- Youth Compline – PowerPoint file
Awesome web sites that make youth ministry easier:
- Canva: amazingly simple graphic design (free as long as you upload your own images)
- The Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU): lots of information on youth culture
- The Center for Spiritual Resources – A comprehensive collection of resources for your spiritual journey, including events, articles, programs, blogs, audio and video resources, and much more.
- D365 – daily devotional site
- Download Youth Ministry: Quality resources (games, lessons, videos, leader training, etc.) that are easy, inexpensive, and trench-tested.
- Easter People Podcast: Faithful Conversations about Faith and Culture
- Episcopal Youth Blog: Youth Ministries of the Episcopal Church is an office that strives to equip, empower, and connect adults who work with youth in the Episcopal church.
- Episcopal Youth in Mission Manual: everything you need to know to plan a mission trip with youth, including planning checklists, preparing your team, tips for while you’re traveling and after you get home.
- Forma: an association and dynamic community of Christian educators, formation professionals, and their institutional partners that celebrates and upholds the diverse ministries of Christian formation across the the Episcopal Church.
- Happening National: Happening is a Christian experience presented by teenagers for teenagers with the help of clergy and lay adult leadership.
- The Holy Geek: Geeky church talk and tech tips.
- Key Resources – from the Center for the Ministry of Teaching at Virginia Theological Seminary, the stuff we think you really need to know about, based on the conversations we have in the center every day.
- More Than Dodgeball: blogs by and for youth workers
- Rethinking Youth Ministry: offers both theory and practical ideas
- The Source for Youth Ministry: free resources and ideas, articles, training, etc.
- Youth Ministry 360: Youth Ministry, Full Circle: Bible Resources, Training, Community, Networking
- Youth Specialties: National Youth Workers Convention and Team Training, curriculum, books, Bible, training, blog, etc.
- YS Directory: a comprehensive ministry database of vendors for mission trips, curriculum, rentals, speakers, apparel, etc. It’s like a giant exhibit hall.
Initiative Games (games with purpose):
- Wilderdom http://www.wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
- Outdoor Adventure Activities http://www.cwu.edu/~jefferis/unitplans/cooperativegames/
- Boy Scouts of America http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Games.pdf
- CampSource http://campsource.pbworks.com/f/Initiative+Games.pdf
- VCU Initiative Games http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Games.pdf
Confirmation Programs I recommend:
- My Faith My Life: a web site with resources for teens and mentors in Confirmation, especially those utilizing the book of the same title.
- Confirm not Conform: confirmation curriculum for youth and adults; also a blog on youth confirmation topics
- Click here for a Comprehensive Overview of Confirmation programs (PDF)
Curriculum & Lessons for Sunday School or Youth Group:
- Episcopal Curriculum for Youth: a thematic program available free for download. Options for Pre-K & K, Primary (grades 1-3), Intermediate (grades 4-6), Younger Youth, and Older Youth.
- Group: lots of books, curriculum, mission trips, and a great magazine
- Leader Resources: LeaderResources offers a large collection of downloadable Christian Formation Resources — for children’s ministry, youth groups, adult education, congregational development and more!
- Lesson Plans that Work: created by The Episcopal Church, they follow the lectionary
- Living the Good News: lectionary-based curriculum
- Peer Ministry Leadership: relational ministry skills training and curriculum for Middle School, High School, and College students (this is the training program the Youth Program uses with their Peer Ministers).
- Sermons for Kids
- Simply Youth Ministry: curriculum, books, newsletter, blog
- The Skit Guys: They’ve been teaching God’s word using comedy, drama and whatever category talking action figures fit into for over twenty years. Videos, books, and skits available for purchase.
- Storypath: Connecting children’s literature with our faith story
- Text Week: lectionary, scripture study, worship links, and resources
- Worshiping with Children (lectionary based)
- Youth Group Games
- Youth Leader Stash: games, talks, event ideas, resources, “Monday Money Movies” (the latest viral YouTube videos appropriate to share at Youth Group)
- Click here for a Comprehensive Curriculum Overview for Children, Confirmation, Youth & Adult Formation
Engaging Children in Worship
- Child’s Worship Bag
- Children’s Worship Bulletins
- Kids Word
- Communication Resources bulletins
- Gospel Grams One and Two
- On-line puzzles etc.
- The Sunday Paper and Sunday Paper Junior:
- Peace Papers
Bibles I Recommend for Children and Youth:
- CEB Deep Blue Kids Bible, age range 7-11 years
- Kids Spark NRSV Bible, grades 3-6
- Spark Story Bible (150 of the most popular Bible Stories, for younger children)
- NIV Quest Study Bible: The Question and Answer Bible
- Serendipity Bible: For Personal and Small Group Study (NIV)
- The Brick Bible (the Bible illustrated with Legos)
- The Action Bible (the Bible in Comic Book format)
- The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
Province 7 Youth Coordinators Video Discussions (YouTube links)
- Games in Youth Ministry
- “Typical” Youth Group Meetings
- EYE info. meeting with Bronwyn Skov
- Confirmation Curriculum with Jenifer Gamber
- Lent Resources
If you have any great internet resources you would like to share, e-mail them to Youth Missioner, Karen Schlabach at email@example.com.