The Youth Commission is a steering committee that provides vision and accountability for the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas youth program. The youth commission implements new youth programs and events in the diocese and offers guidance in how to maintain and improve those events and programs currently in existence. Serving on Youth Commission is fun and rewarding. Student representatives are nominated and elected by their peers at Summer Camp, with one at-large member elected at Miqra. Adult members are appointed by the Bishop or Youth Missioner.
Students should prayerfully consider whether they feel called to serve in this ministry before accepting a nomination. Serving on Youth Commission is a privilege. Expectations include:
- regular attendance at youth commission meetings (i.e. they must be able to get a ride to the meetings), more than one unexcused absence in a year or missing three meetings in a row can be grounds for removal from youth commission at the discretion of the youth missioner,
- active involvement in their home parish — to include attending worship at least twice per month and being involved in one other activity at the parish (i.e. acolyting, Sunday school, youth group, altar guild, outreach, etc.),
- active involvement in diocesan youth programs (i.e. attend as many events as possible throughout the year),
- adherence to the Community Covenant.
To accept an election/nomination, students need to complete the Youth Commission Covenant and have their parent or guardian sign it.
Have an idea or suggestion for the Youth Commission?
Your feedback is welcomed and encouraged! Members of the Youth Commission welcome your input as we seek to more fully live up to our mission statement and make the Diocese of Kansas Youth Program the very best it can be. Please help us as we strive to make our programs excellent in every aspect. Fill out those post-event surveys and/or e-mail Karen Schlabach with suggestions or comments to be shared with the Youth Commission.
2017-18 Meeting Schedule
- Friday, June 16, 11 am – noon (online)
- Saturday, August 19, 10 am – noon, St. Andrew’s, Emporia
- Saturday, November 18, 10 am – noon, St. Andrew’s, Emporia
- Saturday, February 3, 10 am – noon (online)
- Saturday, April 14, 10 am – 1 pm, St. Andrew’s, Emporia
- Thursday, June 14, 11 am – noon (online)
Current Youth Commission Members:
- Carson Avery – Good Shepherd, Wichita (2018)
- Josh Avery – Good Shepherd, Wichita (2021)
- Alex Baldwin – Trinity, Lawrence (2018)
- Lexi Benimon – St. Paul’s, Manhattan (2018)
- John Butler – St. Francis, Overland Park (2020)
- Paul Carter – St. Michael’s, Mission (2021)
- Mitchael Casement – Good Shepherd, Wichita (2021)
- John Cordova – St. David’s, Topeka (2020)
- Asher Demo – St. Thomas, Overland Park (2023)
- Riley Demo – St. Thomas, Overland Park (2019)
- Creed Ekerberg – St. Matthew’s, Newton (2021)
- Bre Elman – St. Thomas, Overland Park (2022)
- Julia Howell – Grace Cathedral (2018)
- Anna Lee – St. Michael’s, Mission (2019)
- Emily Lyon – St. Thomas, Overland Park (2021)
- Parker Lyon – St. Thomas, Overland Park (2018)
- Christian Parker – St. Thomas, Overland Park (2019)
- Lily Riddle – St. Luke’s, Shawnee (2018)
- Heidi Rosenbaum – Good Shepherd, Wichita (2018)
- Eliana Seidner – Trinity, Lawrence (2018)
Graduating seniors will roll-off at the end of the summer after they graduate.
- Emily Burke – St. Michael and All Angels, Mission
- Anne Clark – St. James, Wichita
- Bryan Irvine – St. David’s, Topeka
- Teresa Rogers – Good Shepherd, Wichita
- Karen Schlabach – Diocese of Kansas
Youth Commission Minutes