Three Camps : One Week
Faith ~ Friends ~ Fun
Episcopalians have been attending Summer Camp the first week in June at Camp Wood YMCA for over 80 years. Camp Wood is accredited by the American Camp Association–a process that has over 300 safety and quality standards. There are separate age-appropriate Christian education, camp activities, and sleeping arrangements for all three age-groups, as well as healthy well-balanced meals with accommodations available for allergies.
Camp Wood features a variety of activities such as horseback riding, archery, climbing tower, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, water slide, mud slide, arts and crafts, and sports. The volunteer Episcopal staff provides solid Christian education, featuring worship, music, small group discussions, and prayer.
When: Sunday, June 2, 2:30 pm to Saturday, June 8, 11 am, 2019
Where: Camp Wood YMCA, Elmdale, KS
Who: Students in grades 3-12 for 2017-18 school year (you must have finished third grade to attend); Camp is NOT restricted to Episcopalians or regular churchgoers. All are welcome, so feel free to invite friends and family.
Cost: $450 if registered by April 1, 2019
$465 if registered between April 2-May 10, 2019
$480 if registered after May 10, 2019.
Those needing scholarships should register for camp by April 1, 2019. The diocese has 20 scholarships for $150 available for those with extreme financial need. You can apply for scholarships on the registration form. Information about your household income will be required. Scholarships are awarded by a committee. Your parish should also be able to provide some scholarship money.
Cancellation Deadline: Thursday, May 16, 2019. There are absolutely no refunds after Friday, May 16. Regardless of your payment status, you will still owe the full price for camp unless you notify us that you are canceling your registration by May 16.
Registration form: will be posted her by January 2, 2019
Help make sure every child and youth in grade 3-12 is invited to camp! Brochures will be sent to every previous participant and every parish. Share them with someone who hasn’t been to camp before!
Starting in 2015, all Camp Staff must be invited. Contact the Youth Missioner if you are interested in serving on Camp Staff.
Read what people are saying about camp:
- I love the community. Everyone is so fun to be around, and most people can just be goofy because they know everyone else is too.
- Being welcomed into a family and getting to know new people. Being able to drop all my problems and just be me for a week.
- As a parent… knowing she is going to be well taken care of and safe. As her friend… hearing about the fun times and precious friendships that have developed over years of Camp Wood and youth events.
- The opportunity for them to spend time with friends and spiritual leaders other than us, so they can experience the larger church in the most real and deep way, while having a fabulous, active time.
- My favorite thing is the people there. When I’m at camp I feel loved and included by everybody. There is never that one person who acts as if they’re better than everybody else.
- The beautiful location and variety of activities are terrific complement to the religious education that my son received. He talked about camp for days after coming home. Will definitely return next year.
- The confidence my daughter gains from a week without her regular support network is a big draw. She comes home more comfortable in her faith
- This camp allows for our boys to interact with other Episcopal children. We are from a very small town with a very small church so this is a great experience for them.
I know my son has made meaningful connections with other Episcopal Youth and adult volunteers during MEGA camp and other youth events for the Diocese. I also feel the location is wonderful – it’s clean and appears safe which helps me feel good about sending my child.
No Nerds, No Geeks, No Jocks, No Dweebs, just kids.
Have concerns about sending your child? Check out these articles:
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Episcopal Summer “Mega” Camp
- Camp Registration Confirmation Information for 2018
- Why the World Needs Summer Camp
- How to tell if your child is ready for Summer camp
- What’s Needed to Prepare Your Child for the Future? The Answer May Surprise You…
Questions? Contact Diocesan Youth Missioner, Karen Schlabach, email@example.com.