MIQRA (meek-rah) is a weekend retreat that focuses on the Bible and allows teens to discover what’s in it, why we should care, and how to read it.
Watch the live stream at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/diocese-of-kansas-youth
What’s with the name?
“MIQRA” is a Hebrew word, which means “reading,” and refers to the ancient Jewish practice of gathering at the local synagogue to hear a public reading of scripture, thus it was also sometimes used to mean, “Bible.”
Is the Bible read out loud at MIQRA?
Yes. We read the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation in 72 hours! The reading is voluntary and participants take turns reading in shifts around the clock.
What else happens along with the reading?
So many fun things happen at MIQRA! We play wacky games like Church Commandos and Nave Olympics. We have a movie night. We worship with the Mustard Seeds, our diocesan youth band. Participants attend engaging workshops on various biblical topics and hear clergy speak about the bible. Those who attend also meet with a small group several times to make friends and talk about what they’re discovering about the Bible through the event.
Each year we have a different education focus so that over a student’s seven years in the youth program, they learn about all parts of the Bible.
- 2018 Letters & Revelation (New Testament)
- 2019 Old Testament (also in 2013)
- 2020 New Testament (also in 2014)
- 2021 Pentateuch or Torah (Old Testament — also in 2015)
- 2022 Gospels & Acts (New Testament — also in 2016)
- 2023 History, Poetry, & Prophets (Old Testament — also in 2017)
Why do we have this event?
The Bible is obviously important to the Christian faith, but many Christians may not know what’s in it, may find it difficult to read, or may not know how it is relevant to their life. This event offers teens a chance to come together, make friends, ask questions, and learn about God’s love letter to the world.
When: Saturday, January 13, 2018, 1 pm to Monday, January 15, 2018, 10:30 am
Where: Grace Cathedral, 701 SW 8th Ave, Topeka, KS. After the event begins, junior high students will be transported via school bus to St. David’s Church, 3916 SW 17th St., Topeka, KS. They will return to Grace Cathedral Monday morning for pick-up.
Who: Grades 6-12
Priority Deadline: Friday, December 29, 2017 (price increases by $15 after this date)
Registration forms: Youth and Adults can sign-up for Miqra here: https://edok.formstack.com/forms/miqra2017.
Help with the reading!
High School seniors, members of Youth Commission, college students, and adults are invited to arrive on Friday to start the reading. Please let the Youth Missioner know when you anticipate arriving if you are coming early. All meals will be provided for those who RSVP that they plan to arrive early.
Adults, parents, college students, and church staff are invited to help us with the reading on Friday. Sign up here: www.volunteersignup.org/EFETR.
Musicians are invited to arrive at 10 am on Saturday for rehearsal. Lunch will be provided for those who RSVP and let the Youth Missioner know you plan to arrive early.
Check us out!
- Watch the live stream at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/diocese-of-kansas-youth
- Youth will be posting about the reading and activities on our Facebook page and Twitter.
- Read about the 2016 event on our blog! Saturday’s entry and Sunday’s entry.
- Read the profile on Miqra at Key Resources, a web site from the faith formation curators in the Center for the Ministry of Teaching, a service of Virginia Theological Seminary.
- Watch the Miqra documentary on YouTube below.
Questions? Contact Diocesan Youth Missioner, Karen Schlabach, firstname.lastname@example.org.